Veneers are one of the most sought-after cosmetic treatments that help fix minor, aesthetic issues of the teeth. These thin wafer-like shells on the teeth are made to match the neighboring teeth to give a flawless final look. But how do veneers work to do this?
How Do Veneers Work On Tooth?
Veneers are fixed on the frontal tooth surface; however, your teeth need to be prepped for it. Since the thin shell is placed anteriorly, the first step is to shave the teeth. The dentist first removes about 0.3 to 0.5 mm of the enamel. This amount is just enough to safeguard the sensitive part and make room for veneers.
Apart from shaving, dentists also perform deep dental cleaning and full checkup to see how many problem areas are there.
After cleaning and shaving of teeth, it is time for composite bonding placement for sticking the veneers. Once done, they are pasted on easily, and any excess is removed.
Veneers are very natural like, so they do not stand out from the crowd. Rather they mimic the neighboring teeth.
What Do Veneers Look Like?
Custom-designed dental veneers look exactly like or even better or enhanced versions of your natural teeth.
Additionally, dental veneers greatly help in improving the overall look and shape of your smile since they alter the appearance. They can do this by lightly positioning your teeth, making smaller teeth look bigger, bridging gaps, and fixing if there are any unusual pointy teeth and your smile even.
Staining is also one of the issues which veneers fix. These shells will fix if you have grey or discolored tooth due to damage or injury. Moreover, veneers smoothen teeth having ridges, craters, budges, or uneven surfaces.
They are perfect for anyone who does not want extensive treatment for damage to their teeth but wants an aesthetically correct smile.
Advantages of Dental Veneers
Some of the benefits that veneers have are:
- They are comparatively non-invasive and less painful than regular braces or other orthodontics.
- Veneers are not totally permanent, therefore can adjust with the facial changes as you age (every set has a longevity of 10 years approximately)
- They are custom designed to achieve your ideal natural-looking smile.
- You do not require extensive teeth shaving like in porcelain crowns or teeth caps. Veneers are thought to be relatively low in risk since they are removable or can be altered or replaced later on.
- If you opt to remove veneers later on, the underlying teeth might still be healthy and functional afterward. Granted, there were no complications associated with veneers while they were in your mouth.
- It is a quick and perfect solution for teeth stains or other discolorations that cannot be treated via bleaching or any other whitening treatments.
- This works well for crooked teeth or gaps too. If you want to not suffer from the pain and the characteristic look of metal braces, Invisalign or other orthodontic devices.
We hope this blog covered most of your queries; however, if you want more information, contact one of the teeth experts from Vintage Smile Family Dentistry situated at Louetta Rd Ste 132, Houston, TX. Dial (281) 251-7770 to connect with us.